It is important to do the following:
• Please film in front of a solid wall or backdrop. We do not want to see your STUFF in the camera shot so please move things or find a blank area.
• Lighting must be good enough to see the color of the actor's eyes – this is our number
one problem. Light from up HIGH like the SUN SHINES not from straight on or below. KEY LIGHT, FILL LIGHT and BACKLIGHT is best. Utility clamp lights from the hardware store work well. Important to have the same type of light bulbs (see lighting video below)
• No logos or busy patterns on clothing (especially no stripes). Blues and Green solid colors work best.
• Sound must be clear. If there is a busy street...close the windows when taping and wait for a quieter time of day.
• You should have an ACTOR reading opposite from you for the quality of the
performance. (have the reader read quietly so not to over power your audition.
They should be standing next to the camera for a close point of focus for you.
Only slate to the camera and read to reader.
• SLATE - Each actor must slate with their name, agency, height then Quick pull out or Pan down to see a body shot (QUICK)
Slates go at the end of tape (SOME casting directors just want a non verbal Bod shot at the end of the audition)
• If taping a role with more than one scene, tape all the scenes together to include the
slate. If you do not have an editing program then do it ALL in one take.
• One good take per scene please. Only do a second take if absolutely necessary. (or unless requested)
COMPRESS the FILE to be no smaller than 10MB and no Larger than 150 MB. If it is over 18 MB then you will need to use YOUSENDIT.COM to send the large file. Ask me for the DROPBOX username and password. Different sites have specific size limitations for uploads. Make sure you know how big a file is allowed before you upload it.
COMPRESSION settings for whatever format you are using can be found on the NOWCASTING website under auditions. We have included the PDF files that will walk you through it. Better quality/HIGH Quality videos are best if you can get them. A lot of roles are cast right off the video audition so it must be great quality.
LIGHTING KITS for home
Lighting kit with Backdrop